- June 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm #6055
I am having a problem w/ the QSFACTOR that is set on card 24. On previous jobs I have generally edited the EFDC.INP file directly, so doing this w/ EFDC explorer is new to me, and may be part of my problem.
In the past I have used the QSFACTOR values to scale hydrographs to account for drainage area differences. For instance, I might have one gaged and two ungaged watersheds entering as point sources to my water body. In this case I would set NQSIJ to 3 and NQSER to 1 on card 23, then set the I’s and J’s and QSFACTORs on card 24 to use my one gaged watershed to represent all three inflows. I’ve also adjusted QSFACTORS when doing scenario analysis.
I did such an analysis by varying QSFACTOR in all my point sources by a factor varying from 1.0 to 0.1, but I got identical results in every case. I’m questioning whether changing the QSFACTOR value is doing anything. If the flows changed then I should have seen changes in my results. Did I do something wrong? Please advise.
JBJune 29, 2019 at 1:14 am #6070
We have done something similar for one of our projects.
In that case, we computed a total flow that needed to be added at flow boundaries in cells across the domain. To distribute this flow, we use the QSFACTOR on C24. You can set all this up using a boundary group in EFDC_Explorer. You simply have to provide the L (or I, J) index of the cell and the “factor” (which is the QSFACTOR on C24) on the boundary condition group editor in EFDC_Explorer. See the following page for setting up a boundary condition group: https://eemodelingsystem.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/EEREF/pages/2380305/Boundary+Condition+Group+Editing+Form
Based on what you said in your message, it seems like you are taking the right approach. However, if you are still experiencing issues, please zip up your input files, attach them to your next post, and we can take a look to see if we can identify the problem.
When you set up the distribution of your flow hydrograph using that approach, all the information will appear on C24. See an example of what this card looks like below:
C24 VOLUMETRIC SOURCE/SINK LOCATIONS, MAGNITUDES, AND CONCENTRATION SERIES
* IQS: I CELL INDEX OF VOLUME SOURCE/SINK
* JQS: J CELL INDEX OF VOLUME SOURCE/SINK
* QSSE: CONSTANT INFLOW/OUTFLOW RATE IN (m^3/s)
* NQSMUL: MULTIPLIER SWITCH FOR CONSTANT AND TIME SERIES VOL S/S
* = 0 MULT BY 1. FOR NORMAL IN/OUTFLOW (L*L*L/T)
* = 1 MULT BY DY FOR LATERAL IN/OUTFLOW (L*L/T) ON U FACE
* = 2 MULT BY DX FOR LATERAL IN/OUTFLOW (L*L/T) ON V FACE
* = 3 MULT BY DX+DY FOR LATERAL IN/OUTFLOW (L*L/T) ON U&V FACES
* NQSMF: IF NON ZERO ACCOUNT FOR VOL S/S MOMENTUM FLUX (NEGATIVE VALUES REVERSE FLOW DIRECTION)
* = 1 MOMENTUM FLUX ON WEST U FACE
* = 2 MOMENTUM FLUX ON SOUTH V FACE
* = 3 MOMENTUM FLUX ON EAST U FACE
* = 4 MOMENTUM FLUX ON NORTH V FACE
* IQSERQ: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED VOLUME FLOW TIME SERIES
* ICSER1: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED SALINITY TIME SERIES
* ICSER2: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED TEMPERATURE TIME SERIES
* ICSER3: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED DYE CONC TIME SERIES
* ICSER4: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED SHELL FISH LARVAE RELEASE TIME SERIES
* ICSER5: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED TOXIC CONTAMINANT CONC TIME SERIES
* ICSER6: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED COHESIVE SEDIMENT CONC TIME SERIES
* ICSER7: ID NUMBER OF ASSOCIATED NON-COHESIVE SED CONC TIME SERIES
* QWIDTH: WIDTH OF THE DISCHARGE FOR FOR MOMENTUM FLUX (M) (NQSMF /= 0)
* QSFACTOR: FRACTION OF TIME SERIES FLOW NQSERQ ASSIGNED TO THIS CELL
C24 IQS JQS QSSE NQSMUL NQSMF IQSERQ ICSER1 ICSER2 ICSER3 ICSER4 ICSER5 ICSER6 ICSER7 QWIDTH QSFACTOR ! ID
3 33 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 4.4000E-01 ! Downstream Balance flow
49 86 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 1.1000E-01 ! Downstream Balance flow
14 100 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 4.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
43 113 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 2.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
16 131 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 4.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
16 133 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 4.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
16 165 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 9.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
44 654 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 1.1000E-01 ! Downstream Balance flow
21 683 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 4.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
40 695 0.0000E+00 0 0 11 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 7.0000E-02 ! Downstream Balance flow
26 799 0.0000E+00 0 0 16 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 6.9000E-01 ! Upstrem-balance
29 936 0.0000E+00 0 0 16 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 1.7000E-01 ! Upstrem-balance
28 1034 0.0000E+00 0 0 16 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 7.0000E-02 ! Upstrem-balance
28 1178 0.0000E+00 0 0 16 0 3 5 0 0 0 0 0.0000 7.0000E-02 ! Upstrem-balance
Sorry for the delayed reply, but please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding this.
All the best,
TomJuly 3, 2019 at 9:00 am #6073
Thanks Tom I will have a look at this. I’ve been using a workaround, but I may have other uses for the boundary condition group editor, so I’ll look into it.
Can I ask another question? Is it true that EFDC+ no longer makes the wqwcts.out file? That would be unfortunate, as I’ve got a very useful Matlab script already written that reads and analyzes the file. Is there a way to make this file, or something similar? The file is created and the header made, but no data written to it. Might a tweak of the code be my answer? I’m able to do that if it would get me the file. Thanks for the help.
Jim BowenJuly 4, 2019 at 2:33 am #6075
It is true that EFDC+ no longer writes out the wqwcts.out file, all related water quality results are now being stored inside the EE_WQ.OUT file.
Another possible workaround to generate the wqwcts.out file is by using the getEFDC to retrieve all data interested from EE_WQ.OUT and then re-format it.
The GetEFDC program can be download from here. (https://www.eemodelingsystem.com/user-center/downloads/utilities)
Hope this helps!
Szu-TingJuly 4, 2019 at 2:51 am #6076
Thanks Szu-Ting for the help. I had the same idea and was trying to get an ASCII file using GetEFDC. Do you know if it is working for EE 8.4? I have been trying to get my WQ model results to an ASCII file w/ it. I’m running a short WQ model run and then run GetEFDC, which fails to execute fully. It fails when at the step where it reads the EE_WS.OUT file, but since it’s binary I can’t tell what the problem is. Any help w/ GetEFDC would be appreciated.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.